Saturday, May 23, 2009

My Day

Sorry that I haven't "spoken" in awhile. Some people have asked what a typical day is like for us. I thought I would give a glimpse...

After returning from Panajachel at 7:00PM last night, Krystal (our intern) and I waited for Johnny to get back from the capital. He arrived about 11:00PM, exhausted, so it was bed for all of us. This morning I was up at 7:00AM, fixed breakfast and put in a load of laundry. Johnny headed up the mountain looking like a Guatemalan with his azadon (hoe), machete, botas (rubber boots) and mochila (backpack) carrying his lunch. He is working up on the mountain with a group of brothers from a village across the lake. Then, I washed the breakfast dishes, got a shower, entertained a family that came by to visit and sold a tarea of wood (about a cord, more or less). But since it was a truck load of women and a young boy, I also loaded the wood onto the pickup. And all of this is before 11:00AM! Now I need another shower, do some more laundry and sweep and clean the house before taking Krystal to her teaching duties at a nearby church this afternoon. While she is teaching, I will meet with a young lady that is working on her English for a couple of hours. Then home, fix supper and clean up before bed. Then it starts all over again tomorrow!

You come down and I will find work for you!

1 comment:

Arlene G said...

Loved hearing of your "typical" day. I could just picture Johnny heading out as you described him!:) I have been very remiss in sending out abf emails since we moved. We have just been so busy with our addition and getting unpacked that I have let some things slide. Also..I think it is the rainy season here in Alabama too....rain just about every day. I am ready for some sun. Take care!